Monday, October 3, 2011

Daddy, Did I Win?

We spent a lot of time in class today discussing why Americans feel the need to be the best at everything possible. This sounds absurd because no one person, or one country could ever be the best at everything imaginable. However, Americans still find a way to make it seem attainable, therefore our best clearly is never good enough.

New Trier High School in particular really likes to spread this poisonous mentality among their students. Only, the prize we're all trying to win is college. We take ridiculously hard classes, get off-the-charts test scores, and, of course, get those A's every competitive university looks for. Not to mention being captain of the soccer team, co-head of Aids Coalition Club, and the editor of the school news paper... all the essentials right?

The question I want to know is WHY? 


For example, I work hard like any dedicated student at New Trier, and "college talks" are virtually daily in my household. I've always wanted to go into Broadcast Journalism when I get older, and I've been told by tons of people that Syracuse University is one of the best places I could attend for that particular field of study. My dad's reaction this option? "You could get into a much better school than Syracuse"

Outside of the New Trier Post-High school counseling office is a sign that reads:
"College is a match to made, not a prize to be won"


Say this to my dad and he'll reply with a lighthearted: "Honey, that's bullsh*t."

Even though New Trier may swear by this saying, everyone around here knows that my dad is right. He claims that "downgrading shuts so many doors". I may love Syracuse, and the program, but if I get accepted to Brown University how could I possibly say no?

Does the sign New Trier hangs carry the most important message? or is it just a way to make sure every kid goes to a college? After all, we got to keep our 99.5% college-bound students stat up.

Or is my dad the one we should listen to? It may be the American way of thinking, but who ever said it was totally wrong? After all, it is Brown...



No comments:

Post a Comment