Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Touchdown for Team America

I don't get football. I know it is (for some reason) a quintessential American sport, but I watched the Bears game with my family the other night, and as I sat there, listening to the announcers ramble on about stats and players, I couldn't help but think: "What is so great about this...? They do a lot of yelling, throw a ball, and hope the guy who catches it runs like the devil across some white lines"

Don't hate me. I understand that not everyone loves football for the same reasons, but I don't hold it near and dear to my heart. And before you think it- Yes. I am in fact a female. And maybe for some reason beyond me- that makes a difference, but it doesn't automatically justify why I dislike it so don't even go there.  (Not trying to sound hostile, but just wanted to make sure I didn't get any 'cause-you're-a-woman comments)

Where I get lost is whether or not people love the sport because it's interesting or because it's part of our culture. Football IS America. That may sound childish typed out, but if I had to define "American Culture" using three words, "football" would most definitely be in there.

So now that we've agreed on the fact that football defines a considerable chunk of American culture, it's time to figure out why.
When I think of football, the first thing I think of is "tough". Is that a reflection on how Americans want to be viewed? Americans invented football, developed the reputation, and claimed it as our "thing". Did we develop the football phenomenon solely for the purpose of representing our country?

Our nation was founded on freedom. Freedom to do what we want and say what because we are a strong, and powerful nation. Has football captured that? Is it a way of showing other countries the strength of America? 

1 comment:

  1. To answer your question, "Is it a way of showing other countries the strength of America?", I don't believe it is. Football is a sport, a hobby to many people. America works hard for what we want and being number one. With that said, being the champions in a football game means a lot to some people. With practice, hard work, and commitment many teams have showed and earned their strength and title. I don't believe a sport, such as football, can reveal how strong a country is.

    ReplyDelete